Friday, 22 October 2010

Chicago: Day 1 - "Honking and dinging"

I was at the Greyhound station until about 1am because the bus was delayed. A drunk cowboy from upstate New York started talking to me while we were waiting. He was pretty cool, asking about English stuff and telling me that most American people are not like the people at Greyhound stations. The blonde girl with the pillow also started talking to us and she fitted every stereotype she possibly could. She said she was studying civil engineering to which the cowboy said "you must be pretty clever", she replied totally straight faced with "yes I am pretty clever" and continued to big herself up, it was pretty bloody funny. I took the Greyhound as far as Cleveland and was panicking at the end of the trip because I needed to get to the Amtrak station and wasn't sure if there would be taxis at the bus station. It all worked out and I got a taxi to the train station only to find the train was delayed by at least an hour. It was about seven hours on the train to Chicago so I tried to sleep a bit. Some bloke offered me cookies but they looked weird so I turned him down.

I arrived in Chicago at about midday and Lacey was there to meet me. She'd travelled about ten hours by bus to spend the weekend with Carrie, Angie and myself. Lacey and I spent the afternoon wandering around Chicago without any sort of plan. On our walk we discovered that in Chicago cars will randomly honk at you and cyclists will ring their bells to say hello. When we decided to find somewhere to eat we took about two hours to decide upon Panera Bread where we sat in the cool comfy seats near the window eating some nice foodstuffs. We were too tired for more random wandering so when Carrie and Angie said they were at the hotel we chose to head straight back there to meet them. It was quite a nice hotel and it worked out at $22 each per night. Before we went to bed Lacey and I made use of the pool but the hot-tub wasn't working... which was a bit disappointing to say the least.

No comments: